Monday, July 27, 2009

Genev-heh?

And I'm back in Venice!
The weekend was great! I am very much in love with Florence/Tuscany. That blog post is going to be very, very long since we did so much (and I took 300+ photos-- no worries, I won't be posting them all). In the meantime:

Geneva!

Okay, the exclamation point might be a little much there...

We were there on Wednesday and Thursday for a class trip to the UN and other very official sounding business.

Our hostel was about an hour away via public transit, and was actually right over the French/Swiss border (yay I've been to France now!) so that was realllly inconvenient for us. Luckily our professor was smart enough to lie to us about when we had to be at the Mission so even though we were late, we were actually still early.

Apparently their Security isn't too great there because I got my camera in




The League of Nations symbol in the UN

One of many UN rooms

I know I was supposed to be impressed by the UN, but yeah, not so much. We've been learning how the UN is really just not effective at all as any type of governing body so the luster of the UN was gone. It was just big rooms with lots of chairs.

This ceiling was incredible though, way cooler than a lot of the art I've been seeing.
It should be cool. It cost something like 13 million Euro

Photos of how they constructed this ceiling
So after many many hours of "why you should be a civil servant" propaganda, we were in the need for some food and alcohol.

Even our professor was intrigued/impressed with these 3 liter beer tubes.



We killed those beer tubes just waiting for food. Meanwhile, the Italians taught us to curse in Italian, and we taught them drinking games.


Our very stoned waitress told us that these "Flamm Dogs" were traditional Swiss food. I'm sure she was probably lying though. It was Viennese sausage with ketchup, mayo, and sauerkraut wrapped in a thin pizza-like crust. It was really good, and even better just because we were half delirious from the day, kinda tipsy from peach beer, and saying Flamm Dawggg became really entertaining to us.


and some things are just cooler abroad. like mustard in a toothpaste tube.

This is the biggest water fountain in the world. It was 'made' by accident-- a water main busted and it looked cool, so they decided to just leave it! The water reaches a height of 140 meters and at any given time there are 2 tons of water suspended in the air

Then we made our way over to a festival.


Yes, he is wearing a fishnet hoodie.

Then we did the bars, nothing crazy, oh except we were amazed by the rotating/self-cleaning toilet seats at the bar. Like in awe of them. Maybe we were a little drunk at that point or maybe we're just really American but it was really spacey. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a video


I have my "final" for class tomorrow so I will do my best to get the Florence/Tuscany post up as soon as I can after I get that done!

The trip is almost over! Nice on Friday for 3 days and then last stop at Rome! AH!

Miss you all!!!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment